Brief Vitae on
David H. Olson
David H. Olson, Ph.D. is Professor Emeritus, Family Social Science, University of Minnesota,
St. Paul, MN; Founder and CEO of Life Innovations.
His professional goal has been to
develop high quality products for couples and families. He developed the "Triple Threat" approach
which involves integrating research, theory, and practice (programs, counseling, education).
Dr. Olson is past president of the National Council on Family Relations
(NCFR). He is a Fellow in the American Association of Marital and Family
Therapy (AAMFT), American Psychological Association (APA) and NCFR. Dr.
Olson has received numerous awards from national professional
organizations (AAMFT, APA, AFTA, ACA, ACME, Smart Marriages) and
Universities (Penn. State, St. Olaf, Univ. of Minnesota) for his high quality
research and creative products. He has written over 20 books and over 100
professional articles on marriage and family. He has appeared on numerous
national television shows including ABC Good Morning America, NBC Today Show,
CBS Morning Show, and Oprah.
|St. Olaf College
|Penn. State University
||Major: Family Studies & Psychology
|Univ. of Minnesota
||Marital & family therapy
- Fellow, American Psychological Association (APA)
- Fellow, American Association for Marital and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- Fellow, National Council on Family Relations (NCFR)
- Licensed Marital and Family Therapist, State of Minnesota
- Licensed Consulting Psychologist Marital and Family Therapist, State of Minnesota
- President, National Council on Family Relations (NCFR)
- President, Upper Midwest Association for Marital and Family Therapy (UMAMFT)
- MACE Medal (ACME)
- Cumulative Contributions to Family Therapy Research (AAMFT)
- Distinguished Contributions to Family Therapy Research (AFTA)
- Distinguished Researcher from the American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Distinguished Service Award (MAMFT)
- Distinguished Alumni Award from Penn State University and St Olaf College
- Legacy Award from the University of Minnesota
- Excellence in Research from the University of Minnesota
- Smart Marriages Impact Award
The Couple and Family Map (aka Circumplex Model of Marital and Family Systems)
which he developed has become one of the most popular family system models.
Over 1,200 studies have been published on the Model using the couple and family
assessment tools he has developed (FACES).
He has written over 20 books and more than 100 articles in the field of marriage and family.
His most recent books include:
- The Remarriage Checkup (2010)
- The Couple Checkup: Find your Relationship Strengths (2008)
- Marriage & Families: Intimacy, Diversity and Strengths (7th Edition, 2010)
- Empowering Couples: Building on Your Strengths (2000)
- Building Relationships: Developing Skills for Life (1999)